The Applications/Proposal Engineer is responsible for evaluating requests for proposals, analyzing customers' needs and developing detailed proposals, concepts, and project cost estimates. This role supports the job launch process for all proposals resulting in purchase orders.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
• Review incoming requests for quotes and evaluate the requirements and concept feasibility in coordination with the Applications Supervisor, Product Manager, Account Manager, or other relevant sources
• Review customer specifications for completeness and request any additional documentation required; ensure compliance with all customer specifications throughout the quoting phase
• Consult with engineering for customization of standard products to meet customer requirements as needed
• Create detailed and accurate cost estimate budgets, customer proposal documents, and all required proposal drawings. Adhere to assigned proposal timeline. Enter the budget in SAP.
• Generate necessary job contract set-up sheets, "as sold" budget and "as sold" documentation for job launch and conduct or participate in job launch meetings
• Review quotes to ensure the most competitive bid is provided
• Prepare budgets and letters for Order Change Requests (OCRs)
• Occasional travel to customers' plants to review customers' needs directly. Travel to Germany or other Ecoclean sites may be required for training purposes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to adapt to tight timelines, work with limited resources and still deliver on time and within scope
• Ability and willingness to learn about new products and components quickly and effectively in order to meet deadlines and budget restrictions
• Ability to read part prints and/or blue prints
• Ability to review customer files, create layouts, and concepts using AutoCAD and SolidWorks
• Experience using Microsoft Office programs, including Outlook (required), Excel (Intermediate level), Word (Advanced level), PowerPoint (Basic level), and experience with Project (Basic level) preferred
• Process calculation knowledge to include cycle time calculation, weight calculations, etc.
• Ability to concept and estimate pricing of material handling solutions, filtration solutions, and custom machined & fabricated components
• Basic understanding of accounting and finance principals
• Requires excellent problem solving skills, with the ability to find ways to work under pressure and still make deadlines without cutting corners
• Local and non-local travel required; non-local may include out of state and country for multiple days
• Bachelor's degree in Business, Engineering (or related field) or equivalent experience in an engineering capacity
• 3+ years of experience Application Engineering/Estimating of capital equipment experience is preferred
• 2+ years of experience with Powertrain machining processes for industrial washing systems
• 1+ years of experience manipulating AutoCad and SolidWorks drawings
• 1+ years of experience with SAP