Assurant has an exciting opportunity for a Sr. Business Relationship Manager position!
The Sr. Business Relationship Manager (SBRM) works as a strategic interface with assigned business unit(s) and/or corporate function(s) to facilitate source-to-contract activities in conjunction with Category Managers and the companys sourcing execution partner. The SBRM provides highly valued consulting level support and guidance throughout the process to ensure the business and procurement strategies are in alignment to meet the overarching Enterprise goals. The SBRM is responsible for highlighting and promoting the benefits of working with the Procurement organization and interacts directly with stakeholders to proactively manage workflow and projects to achieve their savings targets. The role manages and resolves complex issues escalated by their assigned business area related to the source-to-pay process. The SBRM will also work on specific sourcing activities (RFX, contract negotiations, supplier relationship management, etc.) as business needs arise.
Strategic Relationship/Planning/Execution (50%)
- As the key liaison with the business, the SBRM is accountable for the performance of the business unit with respect to procurement goals and initiatives through understanding the connections between strategies, spend, suppliers and market intelligence.
- Works with internal and external stakeholders as a thought leader to align supplier solutions with business strategies.
- Understands and anticipates direction of the business, identifies supplier/spend opportunities and makes recommendations to support long-term strategies. Will ensure needs of the business are built into the sourcing and procurement plan.
- Assist the Category Managers in the creation and communication of savings targets and programs linked to the business teams overall strategies.
- Provide strategic input to Category Managers and participate in the planning and financial budgeting for the source-to-contract functions within the Procurement organization.
- Troubleshoots and directs complex issue resolution to the appropriate function within the Procurement organization as it relates to supporting the business unit in achieving overall strategic goals.
- Accountable for managing large strategic procurement initiatives and/or programs for the respective business units.
- Provides strategic consultation to business and the sourcing and procurement teams.
- Advises on options, risks, costs versus benefits and impacts to business processes, supplier relationships and long-term goals.
- Ensures senior level management understands the outcomes of proposed actions and manages the implementation of sourcing and contract initiatives, including the budgeting and tracking of savings.
- Identifies critical success factors to ensure efficient and effective supplier sourcing and contract terms and conditions to meet business stakeholder requirements.
- Collaborate with Procurement Leadership to develop and recommend process improvements and/or change recommendations to improve departments performance.
- Applies industry and business unit expertise to drive performance.
- As a trusted advisor, the SBRM builds the strategic partnership between the business teams and Procurement to deliver outstanding results.
- Acts as an ambassador of Procurement to drive collaboration and partnership between assigned business unit/corporate function and Administrative Services. Efforts may include educating business unit/corporate functions regarding best practices and encouraging adherence to practices and policies to support the overall business objectives of the organization.
- Collaborates with Procurement Leadership to recommend and manage various performance and compliance metrics.
- Collaborates with Procurement Leadership to ensure an understanding of the framework of policies, practices and procedures to promote prudent risk taking, effective change management and governance across the sourcing and contract functions to support the business units.
In conjunction with the Category Managers, responsible for identifying and driving to the annual realized savings target for assigned categories of spend.
- Bachelors Degree in business or related field of study from an accredited institution
- 7 years relevant experience in procurement at large multinational company
Knowledge and Skills
- Must have business experience and acumen and must have experience working in complex sourcing and procurement environments
- Proven track record in complex internal and external negotiations
- Strong personal relationship skills including demonstrated success in influencing C-Level executives
- Experience leading large, complex sourcing projects
- Proven ability to build effective cross-functional business relationships
- Strong knowledge of category management, contract negotiations, and supplier management
- Advanced problem solving and critical thinking skills in a team environment
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation, communication and influencing skills
- Demonstrated ability to function in a team environment and highly matrixed environment
- Strong Excel modeling and PowerPoint presentation skills including, but not limited to, building and presenting business cases
- 25% Travel
Preferred Experience, Skills, and Knowledge
- MBA/MS degree in business, finance or equivalent
- At least 10 years of experience with increasing leadership responsibilities; specialized experience in sourcing and procurement with a demonstrated understanding of category planning/management and a proven ability to build effective customer relationships
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of procurement operations sufficient to develop complex practices and processes in closely related administrative/operational activities
- Experience managing clients and interacting directly with senior leadership
Industry Experience: Strong background in working on enterprise wide projects for large complex organizations, preferably in financial services or insurance industry.
Benefits and Value Proposition
- We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits to full time and part time employees including medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, 401(k), generous paid time off and much more.
- We strive to maintain a professional, yet friendly environment and promote professional and career development for our employees.
- Assurant is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All aspects of consideration for employment and employment with the Company are governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
- To learn more about our current opportunities and apply online, please visit:
- Follow us on Twitter!
Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500, is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AIZ. Assurant has approximately $30 billion in assets and $9 billion in annual revenue. Assurant has approximately 14,500 employees worldwide and is headquartered in New York's financial district. .
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.